With so many people out there looking for easy ways to get money at the expense of others, you want to make home security a priority. This article will offer you 7 ways to keep your home safer from burglars and other criminals looking to victimize someone else's home.
- Don't tempt thieves – Some of the things you can do to tempt thieves to come on to your property is to leave things out that they can easily walk away with. Tools, landscape equipment, expensive toys and any other tempting items should be locked up inside your garage.
- Don't let others know your schedule – You want to keep your schedule a secret to those who don't have a reason to know it. Change up your daily routine, park your car where it can't be seen from the street and make sure you aren't becoming a creature of habit.
- Put up threatening signs – Put up "No Trespassing" signs in the front of your yard where they can be seen from the street. This helps make your yard appear more threatening to potential intruders.
- Talk to your neighbors – Get to know the neighbors closest to you. Being on friendly terms with them will allow them to feel more comfortable calling you or the authorities if they feel something looks wrong at your home when you are asleep or away from the house.
- Don't advertise your schedule online – a lot of people are in the habit of posting their schedules on social media sites. When you post you are on vacation, or away from the house for the day, it lets people know your home is an easy target.
- Put deadbolts on outside doors – any doors that don't have deadbolts on them should have them installed. A locksmith (such as one from Suburban Lock) can do this for you. If you decide to do it yourself, use long screws that are at least three inches. This makes it harder for someone to get through the door.
- Carry insurance on your home – You should carry insurance on your home just in case there is a burglary. This way, you can get help on replacing the things that were taken from you.
These tips will help you to make your house safer for everyone who lives there and everything you have in it. Take a look at your home from other people's perspective and change things that may look appealing to thieves.